Top tips this winter.
Recent research in Gloucestershire has highlighted that almost half of over 60’s live on their own in Gloucestershire.
Here are a few helpful hints to prepare you or your loved ones for this coming winter:
- Service your boiler to make sure it’s safe and will be robust for colder temperatures.
- Make sure tanks and pipes are lagged and your doors, windows and loft are insulated.
- Ensure all radiators in the house are working fully, if not it may be worth getting them ‘bled’ before the turn in temperature.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working correctly.
- Fit a carbon monoxide detector if you don’t have one.
- Make sure you know where the mains ‘STOP valve is, so that you can turn it off in case of an emergency.
- Check that electric fires are properly guarded.
- Check that wired and flexes on electrical appliances (especially electric blankets) are undamaged and adaptors are not overlooked.
- Don’t forget to stock you cupboards and freezer with basic foods in case its too cold, or adverse weather conditions mean you are unable to go shopping.
In our experience, elderly people can often feel isolated and lonely. This is more prevalent during the cold winter months and especially the festive season. If there is someone in your street or local area that may benefit from a few minutes of human contact, spare them a moment of your time. It could really brighten up someone’s day, to know someone cares.
if you would like to talk to us about how we can provide you with peace of mind over the winter months call us for a chat on 01452 730888, or check out our website for information on what we do.